Monday, August 15, 2016

Roof

He stared at the door for a minute before ringing the doorbell.

“Joe! What a surprise!”

“Hey Ma! How are you?” He kissed her on the cheeks as he stepped into the house.

“I’m fine. How are Natalia and the kids?”

“They’re fine. What smells good?”

“Roast. The ladies are at my home this month,” she said as she prepared the table.

“Great. Mom, I wanted to talk to you about the, uh, house.”

“The house? What about it?”

“Well, you staying by yourself worries me. No one’s here for you. What if there’s an emergency. I thought we can sell the house and…”

“Sell the house? Oh, are you suggesting I stay with you and Natalia?”

“No! I mean you won’t be comfortable there. You can move to a better place where you will be taken care of and have friends your age.”

She was fixated for a second.

“I’ve friends here. The community hospital nearby has nurses reachable anytime. I’m glad you are so concerned.”

“Yeah. But I’ll be able to visit you often if you move closer to the city.”

“You visit me enough. I’m sure coming here is a break for you too. It’s peaceful.”

He walked up to her. “I’ve spoken to an agent. The estimate is attractive.”

“I see.”
She adjusted her wedding photo that rested on the mantelpiece. You were right about this day.

She turned to look at him. “Well, I’m happy and safe in my house. I’ve been ever since I came here with your father,” she proclaimed with the finesse of a regal rule.

The doorbell rang.

“That must be the girls! Joe, you have to try the roast before you leave. It's your favorite.”

No comments:

Bookmark and Share